Friday, April 1, 2011

extract/ode to Clifton


Extract (2009) Directed by Mike Judge (who is also credited for Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill & the classic 9-5 nightmare Office Space.) Starring Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig & Ben Affleck.

This movie wasn't on my list but I was thinking about Mila Kunis (after watching Black Swan... more on that later...) and I totally forgot that she was in this movie. My expectations weren't too high with this one, but the main reason I wanted to see it was because Clifton Collins Jr was in it, whom I love, his performaces in Capote & Traffic were outstanding. He initially caught my attention in Rules of Attraction as the paranoid coke dealer, ever since then I've always loved watching him, he is so diverse he's played everything from a cold blooded, yet poetic murderer (Capote) to a charming one armed shop owner who sells cleaning products (Sunshine Cleaning).


As I stated my expectations weren't too high, but I was pleasantly surprised at this comedy. I enjoy Jason Bateman as the owner of an extract plant, he is so passionate about food flavoring, it's adorable. This warehouse has a lovable cast of characters including TJ Miller & JK Simmons all with their own quirks and idiosyncrasies then a super sexy con artist/kleptomaniac (Mila Kunis) gets hired as a temp and shakes things up. Clifton Collins Jr plays a simple worker who due to an unfortunate but hilarious accident loses a testicle.... Mila Kunis's character convinces him to file a lawsuit from his work related injury, and hires an eccentric lawyer played by none other than master of rock, the tongue flailing... Gene Simmons. So while Jason Bateman is dealing with running an extract company and the stress of a lawsuit, he has suspicions that his wife (Kristen Wiig) is having an affair with their dim witted pool guy, his best friend (Ben Affleck) is trying to convince him to be unfaithful to his wife with the new sexy temp and to experiment with many many different kinds of pills, and deal with the most obnoxious neighbor of all time. And Mike Judge does not disappoint. This is a hilarious, heart warming and feel good movie for the working class. Farewell for now & happy viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment