Monday, April 4, 2011

Ghostbusters/ Blues Brothers

Let me preface this entry by saying I love Dan Aykroyd. He first captured my interest when I saw him in My Girl (1991) as the lovable funeral home director and father to Vada. In Tommy Boy (1995) he plays Zalinsky the owner of a chain of auto parts stores with a hilarious midwestern accent and hair as big as his ego.


Favorite Dan Aykroyd quotes:


"We're on a mission from God" -Blues Brothers


"Went a little heavy on the pine tree perfume there, kid?"-Tommy Boy


"You're not gonna lose the house, everybody has three mortgages nowadays" -Ghostbusters



Blues Brothers (1980) Directed by John Landis


This is the story of 2 simple guys, Jake & Elwood Blues. This classic was at the top of my list, I have only seen small parts of Animal House so I was not very familiar with John Belushi. These musical misfits lead you on a hilarious mission, a mission from God. It's full of mega famous stars including Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin. They encounter everything from Illinois nazis to a bazooka toting Carrie Fischer trying to end them. Amazing car chases and catchy tunes make this movie a hilarious classic.


Ghostbusters (1984) Directed by Ivan Reitman


When Halloween rolls around you hear the classics on the radio, Monster Mash, Purple People Eater, Thriller and the theme to Ghostbusters. This movie really never appealed to me but I knew it had to go on my list as I am a fan of sci fi and 80's comedians. Every now and then when someone got stung by a bee in my childhood I'd hear my mom say they were going to swell up like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and occasionally when channel surfing you see Sigourney Weaver's bathtub taken over by pink slime.


Thanks to Nick at Nite this was on, I dvr'ed it and decided to relax and watch it on a Sunday night before bed. Starting out with a sweet little librarian having books mysteriously flying off the shelf and a generally spookytime. Three scientists show up in the form of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis soon after they come upon the paranormal infestation they decide to start Ghostbusters, buy a warehouse, a car, hire a receptionist and a fellow ghostbuster. There are plenty of great quotes and Rick Moranis rounds out the all star cast. There isn't much I can say about this movie as it is a classic and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it do and if you have seen it, watch it again. That night I was having nightmares about ghosts and Spongebob Squarepants as a pirate.... As much as I love thought provoking films, I am a sucker for a lighthearted romp in a semi sci fi world or singing Raw Hide in a country western bar. Farewell for now & happy viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment