Sunday, April 17, 2011

Superman

Superman: The Movie (1978) Directed by Richard Donner



Starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman & Margot Kidder



At the beginning of this classic we are on Krypton. It seems like a nice enough place to live, the locals, friendly but strict. The exterior of the planet is covered in ice and crystal, they hold a trial for 3 individuals they do not introduce or state (in layman's terms) what they are being tried for. They are dressed differently than the rest of the residents in all black rather than the popular shiny white suits I can only assume were washed in some form of Space Tide with bleach to give them that glittery blinding look. Suddenly, Krypton is collapsing and Superman's father Jor-El (Marlon Brando) and his wife put their newborn baby in a crystal encased coccoon-like object that they set floating out into space and for like 3 years. He eventually lands in Smallville, Kansas and gets brought up in a loving home and lives a somewhat normal life although he knows he is different. The first hour and a half of this movie just about killed me, it's not even really exposition in my opinion, it's just long drawn out scenes. I didn't even think it was remotely interesting until he got the job at the Daily Planet. Since I had never watched this before, I was anxious to see him saving the day and experience the quotes that I've heard my entire life. Well, an hour and 32 minutes into this movie Mr. Kent dons his famous unitard and cape and begins his life as a virtually indestructable superhero. He gets everyone's attention right away by saving Lois Lane from a wayward helicopter and keeping it from plummeting into a crowd of innocent bystanders, she eventually gets an interview with him, however she does not know that he is her admirer Clark Kent, yadda yadda ya, everyone knows the story.....



Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) is a real estate villain this is my favorite role I've ever seen him play, he is deliciously evil and brilliant. "The greatest criminal mind of our time". He with the "help" of dim witted side kick Otis create an earthquake down the San Andres fault that will wipe out the western portion of California so he can create "Casa del Lex" in the eastern area of California, which he owns. In doing this he kills Lois Lane as she gets sucked into a crack that the earthquake has created, Superman gets there too late, and is so upset he spins the earth backwards and she is brought back to life. Obviously there is a happy ending and he brings the criminals to jail so they can be given a fair trial. However, there was no "It's a bird, it's a plane"... What the heck, should've recorded Superman 2...



I really enjoy Superhero movies, one of my favorite genres, I must admit though I've always preferred Marvel to DC. I love how even though they have all these powers and are constantly plagued by villains and unrequited love they manage to figure it all out and keep us on the edge of our seats. The leading ladies are always real women who are independent and strong, and they're always in love with the celebrity counterpart and not the real man.



My favorite power of Superman's? His politeness and charming nature, it just goes to show that people from Kansas are better =). Christopher Reeve makes this character come to life and jump off the comic book page. I know people ask, how people did not know Superman and Clark Kent were the same person? And I think it's quite possible that people didn't know, I mean he has glasses and his hair is parted on the opposite side. Farewell for now & happy viewing and don't forget what Superman stands for: Truth, Justice and the American Way!















No comments:

Post a Comment