Sunday, April 17, 2011

sin city

SIN CITY


A dark place full of cigarettes, violence, sex and booze. I'd seen this movie once and I didn't really get it, I wasn't nearly as into movies then though. I decided to give it another chance since now I am alot more familiar with the cast of this violent thriller.


This is based on Frank Miller's graphic novels, he is also known for Watchmen & 300. It stars Mickey Rourke, Benicio Del Toro, Clive Owen and Elijah Wood. Directed by Robert Rodriguez who has also directed Planet Terror, Desperado, From Dusk till Dawn and surprisingly...Spy Kids...


I am a fan of graphic novels and this star studded cast and fast paced thriller makes you feel like you are turning the pages of a comic book. I like that they stayed true to that with the cinematography and color choice. It is a book and they wanted it to look like you were a part of the story, not just an observer.


You follow the stories of Marv & Goldie, Hartigan & Nancy Callahan, Dwight & Jackie Boy.

Frank Miller has a gift for words and Robert Rodriguez has a gift for film and together they create cinema history. Movies like this, the Matrix, What Dreams May Come, A Scanner Darkly & Inception all have thought provoking stories and make your eyeballs orgasm.


When I was in college I was asked to write a paper about a romantic hero and I chose Rocky Balboa from the Rocky series. Looking back I should have chosen Marv, he is a large simple man who is not to be reckoned with, seriously he will blow your freaking head off. He has a remarkable one night stand with a hooker named Goldie, when he wakes up he finds her dead. The rest of his part in the story is finding her killer to butcher him. He eventually finds his loves killer in the form of a creepy cannibalistic pipsqueak called Kevin (Elijah Wood) if you haven't seen this just think of Kevin as Harry Potter's super creepy twin brother wearing Chuck Taylor's and a Charlie Brown sweater. Marv finally gets his revenge but not without a price. He is a brilliant, beautiful character who has some of the best lines in this movie, my favorite being "Hell's waking up everyday and not even knowing why you're here." Thank you Mickey Rourke, thank you. Keep up the good work, loved you in the Wrestler by the way.


To wrap up I really appreciated this movie, except for a few very small aspects (prime example Rosario Dawson's weird hair) I hope film makers continue to create movies like this, do we really need Scream 4 AND Fast and Furious 5? Farewell for now & happy viewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment