Sunday, May 29, 2011

Britain's Finest

*Under the words 'Britain's Finest' should probably not be a photo of Russell Brand, an ex-heroin addict who used to have sex with lots and lots of prostitutes. I don't care though, I love him!






Last weekend I watched a movie called American Dreamz, starring Dennis Quaid, Willem Dafoe and the dreadful Mandy Moore. I had this very detailed blog about my hatred of the movie which ended up not making sense, was horribly constructed (something I imagine that is very fixable) and I just deleted it because I was so frustrated, the movie ruined my life even after watching it. So to summarize, don't watch it! Other than Hugh Grant being in it, it's a total trainwreck, it's essentially a romantic comedy but it's laced with crass and unneccessary political satire. They try to cover too much material, it's the wrong genre and I have to disagree with the cover of the movie that says that the movie is 'Daring'. Although, it did get me thinking about people and their guilty pleasures. Some of mine are romantic comedies (anything with Hugh Grant, I just can't resist...), documentaries about people with weird habits, viral video shows (like the Soup or Tosh.0) and reality tv shows. Now when I say reality tv I don't mean competition shows like American Idol or Survivor, I mean shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Bridezillas, Jersey Shore, Teen Mom or Real Housewives of Orange County. I like watching the Human Condition, I like watching people in their "natural" environment, I can't explain why this is so enticing to me or why they are so popular. I can only think we like watching people live their lives out in front of us to ensure that we aren't crazy or maybe it's just pure escapism because whether their problems are worse/better than ours, they aren't our problems and it gives you a break from our lives. As much as people may speak down on reality tv, if I were given the opportunity to be paid a large amount of money to live my life in front of a camera I would absolutely do it! If the people on the shows choose to degrade or humiliate themselves that is their choice, but it's not going to keep me from watching. The next night I watched The Full Monty, one of the movies on my list, this movie was not what I expected at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected raunchy humor and a ton of nudity and it instead it was a sincere and heartfelt movie about a bunch of middle aged men who find themselves out of work and aspire to be male "Chippendale" strippers in order to make money. They have to hide this from their wives, learn how to dance and overcome their stagefright. "Anti wrinkle cream there may be, but anti fat bastard cream there is none." It is a great movie with an honest story and great acting and it just further confirms my love of all British entertainment. Seriously, from Harry Potter to Amy Winehouse, I love it all, I haven't ever seen or heard anything that I haven't liked.









Cheerio for now & happy viewing!!








I can't end a blog about British actors without a photo of Colin Firth =]

No comments:

Post a Comment